How Anthony Fauci was able to keep control of the AIDS narrative that covered up the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome epidemic.



From an interview with Anthony Fauci

https://history.nih.gov/nihinownwords/docs/fauci3_06.html

Harden: We all remember that George Bush, when asked to name an American hero, named Dr. Anthony Fauci and thus brought honor to you, to the NIH, and, by extension, to all biomedical scientists and physicians. He also invited you to the White House and put some pressure, I believe, on you to accept the NIH directorship. Do you want to talk about that? 


Fauci: I was very flattered and surprised that he listed me as one of his heroes. I knew him pretty well at that point. I was very gratified and pleased. I did not hear the Presidential debate in which he called me his hero. I had been on a trip, and as I walked into the elevator at the NIH when I came back, people said, “You must feel terrific.” I said, “What happened? What are you talking about?” I finally got to my office and they told me about it. 


With regard to the NIH directorship, I am very grateful to President Bush for understanding why I did not want to be NIH Director. I wrote to him early on when my name was being sent down to the President from the Secretary as the top choice for the NIH Director's job. I wrote to President Bush when he went up to Kennebunkport [Maine], and I sent him a message through some people I knew at the White House that I was going to turn the offer down. I wanted him to understand that it had nothing to do with my admiration for, and friendship with, him. It is not an easy thing to say no to a President who offers you such a prestigious job. But I explained to him the reasons why I wanted to turn it down, which were my science and my commitment to AIDS and to the NIAID.


Bush wrote me a beautiful letter back saying that his respect and admiration for me was even increased by understanding how devoted I was to the cause, and that he was looking forward to continuing to work with me. I was afraid that he would say, “Get out of here. You are insulting me by not saying yes.” That was the first time. The second time was even more anxiety provoking. [Dr.] Jim [James] Mason, the Assistant Secretary [for HHS], asked me if I wanted to take the job. This was after I had written to the President and said no the first time. Several months went by and we still did not have a Director at NIH following the departure of Jim Wyngaarden. Jim Mason asked me if I wanted the job, and I said I did not for the same reasons as before. People thought that it was because of the fetal tissue issue. It had nothing to do with fetal tissue. No one ever made any conditions to me about fetal tissue. That never even came up in the conversation. It was purely my not wanting to be in any way dissociated from my laboratory, my science, and the AIDS research at the NIAID. Jim Mason said, “You will have to say no to somebody higher than me.” I said, “Jim, don't do this to me.” He said, “You will have to talk to Lou Sullivan.” Secretary Louis Sullivan called and said “Tony, what do you think? Would you like to do it?” I said, “Lou, I do not want to do it. Please do not put me in a position to create any embarrassment.” He said, “All right. Fine.” 


About a week, two weeks, went by and Lou got on the phone and said, “We are going to the White House.” I replied, “Oh my goodness, what are you doing to me?” He said, “I am sorry, Tony. You are going to have to say no to the President. We have spoken to [John] Sununu, and we have spoken to the domestic policy people. They do not think you are going to say no to the President.”

I remember that I went into the White House and I was waiting outside the Oval Office. John Sununu came over to me and said, “You are not going to say no to the President, are you?” I said, “Governor, I am very sorry, but I am going have to do it, because nothing has changed. I think that the President will understand that.” He said, “But nobody says no to the President in the Oval Office.” I said, “Well, I do not think it is a macho thing to do. I am just very uncomfortable about being here. I am only here because Lou Sullivan asked me to be here.”


I figured this was the end. This would really get the President upset. I walked into the Oval Office and sat down next to the President, who said, “Well, Tony, do you want to revisit this?” I replied, “Mr. President, everything I said before goes in spades. I have a great deal of admiration for you. I am very proud to serve in your administration. But what I do best is what I am doing now. I think I would contribute more to you and to the country if, in fact, I were able to continue my job.”


I told the President that the same reasons governed my thinking as when I had spoken and written to him the previous time. I wanted to stay very closely involved with the science. He paused for a moment, and he looked at me. Then he said, “Is there anything that we can do to create a situation where you would want to do the job? How about if you do it for two years then you go back to being the Director of NIAID? Or we will give you enough administrative help that you could continue to run your laboratory and you could continue to do the AIDS research? You can do anything you want, AIDS, laboratory, OAR [Office of AIDS Research], everything you want to do.” I said, “Mr. President, this is very painful for me, but, with all due respect, I will serve you much better if I stay where I am.” 


I thought, “This is the end. I have tried the man's patience.” But Bush is such a wonderful human being that he looked up at me and said, “Tony, once again I keep having more and more admiration for you. Good luck to you. If there is anything I can do to help you, just give me a call.” And he actually gave to me his secretary's private number. “Just call me. I want to talk to you right up front if you have anything that I can help you with.”

I figured that he was just saying that and that now he would be angry with me. As we walked out of the Oval Office, Governor Sununu said to me. “I cannot believe you did that.” Sununu was not upset with me. He was actually very friendly. I had good relations with him too. 


That was it. After a while, I guess it was a few weeks to a month, I thought that this would be it because Bush would go off and find someone else who would be his favorite medical person, as it were. But, sure enough, he gave me a call about a month later and asked me a question that was of some importance. Then, two months later, he invited me to the White House for a small dinner so we continued our friendship. I have always felt very fortunate that I was able to act the way I believed I should act, namely, turn the President down, without having him feel that I was turning him down personally. As it turned out, it served to make our relationship even stronger right up until the end of his presidency. I hope it will continue even now if I get the opportunity to deal with him.





Is Anthony Fauci the Bernie Madoff of AIDS? Listen to this podcast and read The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic Cover-up Volume Two







Read about the disaster Anthony Fauci created in The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic Cover-up Volume Two.

Popular Posts in the Last 7 Days

Dr. Bhupesh Prusty and Professor Thomas Rudel discuss their HHV-6 research

Will Fauci screw up Zika as much as he has screwed up HHV-6, AIDS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and HHV-6 Scientist of the Year

Why is the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome community ignoring the biggest breakthrough?

Oral Kaposi's Sarcoma looks like the Crimson Crescents in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients.

Popular Post in the Last 30 Days

Dr. Bhupesh Prusty and Professor Thomas Rudel discuss their HHV-6 research

If you want to know the whole truth about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, you need to go Beyond Unrest

More evidence HHV-6 is the cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Will Fauci screw up Zika as much as he has screwed up HHV-6, AIDS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Popular Posts from the Last Year

Dr. Bhupesh Prusty and Professor Thomas Rudel discuss their HHV-6 research

Oral Kaposi's Sarcoma looks like the Crimson Crescents in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients.

If you want to know the whole truth about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, you need to go Beyond Unrest

More evidence HHV-6 is the cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

All Time Most Popular Posts

Dr. Bhupesh Prusty and Professor Thomas Rudel discuss their HHV-6 research

Anthony Fauci was part of the gang that silenced and destroyed Judy Mikovits.

Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome the other AIDS epidemic in the gay community?

Was Judy Mikovits destroyed because her XMRV work would have ultimately shown HIV is a total fraud?