Glioblastoma risk factors:
Like most tumors, there is no known cause of brain tumors like glioblastomas, however, some people believe there is a link between alcohol consumption, ionizing radiation, and the viruses HHV-6, SV40, and cytomegalovirus. More common risk factors include:
- Age, particularly for those over 50
- Gender, with a slight skew towards men than women.
- Being diagnosed with a low-grade astrocytoma (brain tumor), which can develop into a higher-grade tumor.
- If you are Caucasian, Hispanic, or asian.
- Having a diagnosis of neurofibromatosis, Von Hippel-Lindau disease, Turcot syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, or Li-Fraumeni syndrome